Is it possible to use per user keys with mail-crypt-plugin when using passwd-file backend?

Davy Landman davy.landman at gmail.com
Sat Mar 20 22:43:33 EET 2021

I've been reading quite a bit of discussions, the manual and a few often
linked posts about mail-crypt-plugin, but most of them seem to assume a sql
db backing. But if you are using a passwd file userdb, is it possible to
make the per-user-key mode of the mail-crypt-plugin work?

I like the trick of passing in the key via an extra calculated/virtual
column in the query (even allows for hashing the password for example). But
I cannot see how this can work with the passwd backing?

Any pointers would be appreciated.

Kind regards,
Davy

(Why so focussed on passwd files? I'm using the docker-mailserver setup
that takes care of a lot of messy setup, so I rather not redo that just so
that I can switch to a db for storing the user details of maybe 2 to 3
users)