Solr FTS - message deletes not working as expected

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Wed Nov 3 20:56:53 EET 2021

On 11/3/21 12:38 PM, Michael Slusarz wrote:
> Have you tried another client?

I only have two clients configured:  Thunderbird 78.13.0 on Linux and
Thunderbird 91.2.1 on Windows.  Behavior is the same on both.

I will see if I can get another client configured.  Windows Mail is
included on Windows 10, so I can try that.  I have a client system
running Ubuntu, and I bet that there are a LOT of mail clients available
there.

> Thunderbird does NOT necessarily process expunges immediately.  Depends on what else it is doing in the background.  So you can't click delete in the UI and not immediately see anything on the backend and definitively correlate the two.

The message is deleted by dovecot immediately.  I double checked this by
purging a message on my Linux client and saw the message immediately
disappear on my Windows client.  It happened even faster than I would
have expected.  IMAP seems to be a very good protocol!  I can't say it
definitively without more evidence, but the problem *seems* to be in
FTS, not imap or core dovecot.

> Another option is to ensure debug logging is enabled for Dovecot so you can see what the FTS code is doing.  "log_debug = category=fts" and/or "mail_debug = yes" will help in that regard.

When I have some real time available, I will look into debug logging.
I'm going to have to research exactly where to put those config options.

Thanks,
Shawn