Bug report: Global Mailbox UID mismatch on replication when upgrading from 2.3.13 to 2.3.17

Dennis Højgaard | Powerhosting Support dh at powerhosting.dk
Tue Nov 16 15:04:24 UTC 2021

Hi.

We use dovecot for replication on two dovecot nodes (using Maildir).
Worked perfectly until upgrading from 2.3.13 to 2.3.17. I found out
about it a couple of days after where Queued 'full resync' requests had
gone up. ANd then i saw some failed requests. But nothing in the log. I
found out which users having trouble and saw that it was new user so i
ran doveadm sync manually and got the following error:

doveadm(2849817): Warning: Mailbox changes caused a desync. You may want
to run dsync again: Remote lost mailbox GUID
38e69e0ba98d936142ac29004e3fea09 (maybe it was just deleted?)

So i found out that dovecot-uidlist had a mismatch on the Global Mailbox
UID, so global mailbox uid is not the same on both servers. I don't know
if there is something that has changed with regards to how this GUID is
generated, because when i look at old mailboxes they are always
identical on both servers.

I fix this issue manually by editing dovecot-uidlist on one of the
servers making the global mailbox uid on both servers identical, and
then run force-resync. This works, but i guess something has changed.

--

Dennis Højgaard
Powerhosting Support

*t:*  +45 7222 4457 |*e:*  dh at powerhosting.dk  |*w:*  https://powerhosting.dk