bug report: lmtp fails on root-squashed NFS filesystem

Anne Bennett anne at encs.concordia.ca
Wed Nov 24 23:29:59 UTC 2021

Hello Aki.

>> I patched "src/lib-storage/index/mbox/mbox-storage.c" and
>> "src/lib-storage/index/maildir/maildir-storage.c" to replace
>> calls to "access()" with calls to "euidaccess()", and now mail
>> delivery (to mboxes) works for me.  (I can't test maildir yet.)
>>
>> Could this be considered for a patch to future versions, please?

> Would it be possible for you to open a pull request on https://github.com/dovecot/core?

There was a bit of a learning curve involved, but I believe I've
managed to do it.  It came out as two pull requests: one for mbox
mail folders, which is working fine for me, and one for maildir
mail folders, which I have not yet tested, but they are essentially
the same changes.

It's not impossible that I've missed some spots, but for
now, LMTP delivery and IMAP are working for mailboxes on a
root-squashed NFS filesystem.  Indexes are on NFS, but not
root-squashed, so if changes are required also for them,
I've probably missed them.

Thanks for considering my patches!

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Sysadmin, ENCS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne at encs.concordia.ca                                    +1 514 848-2424 x2285