Authentication problems due to file ownership issue.

dovecot at ptld.com dovecot at ptld.com
Mon Oct 4 02:02:48 EEST 2021

> Oct 03 20:19:52 auth: Error: net_connect_unix(auth-worker) in directory
> /run/dovecot failed: Permission denied (euid=5000(vmail)
> egid=5000(vmail) missing +r perm: /run/dovecot/auth-worker, dir owned
> by 0:0 mode=0755)

> I set this about an hour ago, then applied some security patches and
> restarted

Files and directories inside of /run/ are created every time you reboot
the server. If you manually change the owner or permissions it will only
stay that way until next reboot. You have to edit config settings for
the service in question for how you want those directories / files
created on reboot. I do not know how to do that in ubuntu but in RHEL
you edit (or create) config files in /etc/tmpfiles.d/

Package installed default on RHEL
    /usr/lib/tmpfiles.d/dovecot.conf
    "d /var/run/dovecot 0755 root dovecot -"

Not sure what you are trying to do, but another option might be give
user vmail dovecot group access so vmail can access files with a dovecot
group read permission.
     usermod -a -G dovecot vmail