Authentication problems due to file ownership issue.

C. Petro petro at cpetro.us
Tue Oct 12 06:49:25 EEST 2021

This is a late response, sorry--it got pushed down the stack.

> Not sure what you are trying to do, but another option

I am trying to get postfix + postfixadmin working with Dovecot.

All of the user and domain configuration is in Mysqldb, and the mail
directories in /var/mail/vmail are owned by vmail:
root at mailserver:/var/mail# ls -l
total 20
drwx------ 2 root  root  16384 Sep 12 17:30 lost+found
drwxr-xr-x 3 vmail vmail  4096 Sep 26 00:00 vmail

> might be give user vmail dovecot group access so vmail
> can access files with a dovecot group read permission.

THe process in /run/dovecot is:

srw------- 1 vmail   root       0 Oct 12 03:12 auth-userdb
srw------- 1 dovecot root       0 Oct 12 03:12 auth-worker
Oddly enough the auth-userdb is owned by vmail.

I tried setting
service auth-worker {
  # Auth worker process is run as root by default, so that it can access
  # /etc/shadow. If this isn't necessary, the user should be changed to
  # $default_internal_user.
  user = $default_internal_user
}

and it didn't help.