Containerize dovecot?

David Favor david at davidfavor.com
Tue Oct 12 20:37:39 EEST 2021

MRob wrote:
> Hello, anyone here has containerized dovecot? Can I ask general advice
> and experience please? are there any recommended articles/tutorial for
> containerize deploymnt and auto-scaling? Thank you.

Fairly straight forward.

Use LXD running either Ubuntu or Alpine as the Distro.

You can also use Docker, which means you'll have to handroll your own
LXD-ish filesystem management system (shudder...) using Docker volumes.

Good rule...

1) Use Docker for ephemeral data, where all data dies across container restarts.

2) Use LXD for persistent data... SQL databases, IMAP mailstores, etc...
    where data lives across container restarts.

Can you use Docker for this? Yes!

Should you? Well... depends on if you have a lot of free time to redevelop
and entire set of LXD-ish tools.

If you're super lazy... er, I mean efficient, as I am... use LXD...