Solr FTS - when does indexing happen?

Steve Dondley s at dondley.com
Sun Sep 5 01:06:40 EEST 2021

On 2021-09-03 12:43 PM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> I have Solr FTS on my dovecot install.  I followed the instructions on
> the dovecot wiki.
>
> How long a delay should I expect to see between new mail being
> delivered with the dovecot LDA and an indexing request sent to Solr?
> Because I get a LOT of email from various mailing lists, and I do not
> see any activity in Solr's log.  When I did doveadm index -A -q '*'
> there was a lot of indexing activity in Solr's log, as expected.
>
> One time I looked at the Solr index and it had been 23 hours since
> it's last update ... I can guarantee that I received a lot of new
> messages in that time.
>
> What do I need to look at for further troubleshooting?
>
> I can confirm that when I issue a search in the TypeApp app on my
> phone (an IMAP app for android), I see the query in Solr's logfile.
>
> Thanks,
> Shawn

DISCLAIMER: I've only set up solr once with dovecot so take these words
with a grain of salt.

As I recall, indexing an email is triggered immediately when an email is
received if you have you dovecot settings set properly to trigger the
indexing. The dovecot documentation for FTS, it spells it out.

See
https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/fts/solr/?highlight=fts%20user%20plugin

There is an autoindex setting that neeeds to be set to "yes".