Solr FTS - when does indexing happen?

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Sun Sep 5 05:54:55 EEST 2021

On 9/4/2021 4:52 PM, Shawn Heisey wrote:
> I see something talking about autoindex, but it does not have an example
> so that I can see where it needs to go.  I cannot work it out from what
> is there.
>
> With a little googling, I was able to figure out where it needs to go.
> And now it acts like I was expecting.

Deletes are an interesting thing with autoindex.  If I use the "Del" key
in Thunderbird (which moves the message to the Trash), I see an
immediate delete (from the original folder) and add (to the Trash
folder) in Solr's log.  And if I choose the "Empty Trash" option, I see
those deletes in Solr's log immediately.

But if I press Shift-Del in Thunderbird (which immediately deletes the
message, bypassing Trash), then it takes about 15 seconds before the
Solr log shows the delete request.  Is that expected?  It's not causing
me any problems, as it's highly unlikely that I'm going to do a query
matching a message that I deleted ten seconds ago.  I can stand to wait
15 seconds for the index to be updated.

Dovecot version is 2:2.3.16-2+ubuntu20.04, pulled from the Dovecot
repository.

I have been doing some fiddling with the solrconfig and schema.  I have
more fields stored now -- added from, to, and subject.  I couldn't tell
what the matching messages were when accessing Solr directly.

I also implemented TrimFieldUpdateProcessorFactory which trims leading
and trailing whitespace from fields before they are indexed.  I happened
to notice that some of the new stored fields I added had EOL characters
in them (not sure if it was \n or \r\n).

IMHO, a rather glaring omission from the fields in Solr is a
timestamp/date field.  Does dovecot's FTS have the ability to send that
data?  I know that Dovecot might not use it, but it would be a very
useful thing to have for querying the dovecot index from something other
than dovecot.  Not something I *NEED*, just nice to have.  I haven't
looked at the fts or fts_solr code.

Thanks,
Shawn