ARC Failed - Re: Unable to write *.sieve files while Dovecot is running

hi at zakaria.website hi at zakaria.website
Fri Apr 8 03:27:03 UTC 2022

On 2022-04-07 19:38, Alexander Dalloz wrote:
> Am 07.04.2022 um 15:16 schrieb Ralph Seichter:
>> I noticed lately that I can no longer modify *.sieve files while
>> Dovecot
>> is running. Write operations appear not to be permitted anymore:
>>
>>    $ echo >> example.sieve
>>    zsh: permission denied: example.sieve
>>
>> Text editors like vim cannot write either. Since I used to be able to
>> modify Sieve source files on the fly, I am wondering if the behaviour
>> I see nowadays is intentional?
>
> IMHO dovecot only consumes the bytecode sieve filter, not the plain
> text source file based on which the bytecode get generated.
>
> I would be your issue is cause by unix permissions or by MAC systems
> like grsecurity, SELinux or Apparmor.
>
> Alexander

It could be just the case its with the default sieve file which is
precompiled before starting Dovecot using sievec command while with user
sieve scripts, its read and compiled everytime user receives an email
and it should be writable from terminal while dovecot is running, though
you will need to configure ManageSieve plugin for this to work, while
its being said, it is valid if the issue it is not as a result of OS
integrity enforcement like what Alexander has suggested.

Zakaria.