Set up per user sieve rules

hi at zakaria.website hi at zakaria.website
Sun Apr 10 18:00:22 UTC 2022

On 2022-04-10 00:00, Austin Witmer wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I am struggling to wrap my mind around how to set up sieve rules for my
> individual users on my mail server.
>
> I set up a global sieve script file at
> "/var/lib/dovecot/sieve/default.sieve” and that works great.
>
> My users maildirs are located at /mnt/volume1/mailserver/maildir/user.
> Do I need to create a sieve script file inside of that folder for sieve
> scripts to work on an individual basis? If so, what permissions will
> that script file need?
>
> Thanks in advance for your help!
>
> Austin Witmer

Hi there,

You will need to configure ManageSieve in your 15-lda and 20-lmtp and
create a service in 10-master and set sieve in dovecot.conf protocols.

In 90-plugin make sure to use sieve_before and compile its file using
sievec if you want default sieve for every user and test on it,

If it worked then make sure there is personal modifiable one perhaps
with User.sieve name and set with proper ownership settings given to
LDA/LMTP user since its compiled when user receives an email, therefore
refer to dovecot status or logs if there is permission issues. Lastly,
you will have to create for it a symbolic link with .dovecot.sieve name
referencing user.sieve personal file e.g. like the following:-

ln -s .../%u/User.sieve .../%u/.dovecot.sieve.

Refer to for more info
https://wiki.dovecot.org/Pigeonhole/ManageSieve/Configuration

Zakaria.