Bad Signature - Both Roundcube and Squirrelmail webmail cannot search for anything + cannot open many emails because there are more than 200, 000 emails in my Inbox

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Wed Apr 20 01:26:10 UTC 2022

On 4/19/2022 5:12 PM, Turritopsis Dohrnii Teo En Ming wrote:
> It is not true that no email system was ever designed for 200,000 or
> more emails.
>
> If I did not remember wrongly, more than 10 years ago, I used to have
> a Gmail email account, with 4-5 MILLION email messages in the Inbox.
> There was no problem searching even though I had 4-5 MILLION email
> messages in the Inbox.

If you were using either a Google app or the gmail.com website to access
that inbox, then it doesn't compare.  I really doubt that either of
those uses the IMAP protocol.  They would be using something proprietary
that is highly optimized for the way that Google stores data and
leverages the enormous amounts of computing power that they maintain.

I would bet that if you accessed a gmail folder with 5 million messages
in it using IMAP, you would have similar problems with it to those that
have been described here in this thread.  IMAP is a beautiful protocol,
but I don't think it was designed for handling that many messages.

Thanks,
Shawn