how to setup IMAPs with letsencrypt

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Sun Apr 24 01:47:45 UTC 2022

On 4/23/2022 6:45 PM, Richard Hector wrote:
> _A_ web server has to be there. It doesn't have to serve anything else
> useful. My mail server has a web server that only serves the LE
> challenge. Well, actually it's a proxy server that serves several
> other domains too, but there's nothing else served on that domain (at
> the moment).

I didn't want to mess with creating a web infrastructure for the usual
web-based validation that is common with LE.  Getting that working for
my services would be very messy.  So I use DNS validation with
LetsEncrypt, and I have wildcards in my cert.  You can see the cert at
this location:

https://http3test.elyograg.org/

Reload the page to see if your browser can do http/3 -- the initial
connection will usually be http/2.

Certbot has plugins for many common DNS providers that let it
automatically add the validation records to your DNS.  I use a DNS
provider which is not covered by the official plugins, but I found a
third party hook script on github, so I have built scripts that
accomplish completely automated certificate renewals with DNS
validation.  I run the renew script with cron every other day, and have
it waiting until 5 days before expiration before it actually does the
renewal.  So I get a new cert about every 85 days, and it even installs
the cert and restarts services on everything that needs it.

Thanks,
Shawn