Aw: Re: convert mdbox to maildir

lutz.niederer at gmx.net lutz.niederer at gmx.net
Sun Aug 14 17:46:54 UTC 2022

Yes, you are right.  The problems are not of technical nature.  The reason seems to be some sort of fear (and "admins").
We have all we need.  We have the old dovecot config, we have the mdbox files and the complete directory structure.  We are simply not allowed to do all the stuff on the live system.  Even if dsync backup exists that does not modify anything.  Currently it is planned that the real conversion will take place on a weekend.  We are setting up an environment that enables us to do that (how well does it work, how long will it take).  They are only around 500 users and ca 4TB (incl public folders).  I don't see a problem with that.  And if they feel some sort of fear, then I can understand it (except the "admins" who should know better).  We do what the customer wants us to do.  And yes, they pay pretty well for working on weekends.

What I would like to do is set up the real new machine with everything - the new live system.  Put all the mdbox files/structures into a directory and run the conversion for each user.  So the first question is if the mdbox files can really be "simple files in folders" or if they have to be "hosted" by an imap server, too.  (As I understood, the destination can be our final imap server.)  And I believe we can have the source in the filesystem (what would be mach faster).  The other question is if we can run some of these conversion in parallel?  I would say "why not".