multiple / backup sql servers for sql server access

Brendan Kearney bpk678 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 30 12:57:06 UTC 2022

per https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/authentication/sql/,
you can add more than one "host=" parameter in the "connect" directive,
and leave dovecot to do round-robin load balancing. there will probably
be a delay in processing while a failed database connection attempt
times out.

or you can use a load balanced database footprint, using something like
haproxy.  its not as simple as putting multiple databases behind haproxy
and calling it done.  i use mariadb, which via galera, can do
multi-primary HA, where all 3 primary instances can take write or read
events.  you need to configure each mariadb instance with galara
replication and then setup haproxy to properly attach to the databases
and perform a service check.

postgresql or other databases may require different mechanisms to
achieve fault tolerant HA.