multiple / backup sql servers for sql server access

Jack Snodgrass jack at mylinuxguy.net
Tue Aug 30 22:10:45 UTC 2022

I prefer to use a 2 db approach where I specify 2 different Database
servers as opposed to HAproxy.

I see on:
http://url7179.mylinuxguy.net/ls/click?upn=qw3mUGlvypxOIEjnzoVznczKsajdyZbXY6uGLmuK5J6I8VjNhJjPybLy8wVGpS-2Bj0XbXGjmYqz5kJ-2FqxxfqOlGg-2BYYTMl6kvDX9RScub4pw-3DiZ-y_HoH8w59qZ-2Bj-2BbJehmds8moczgghS3-2F0vIoq8mKxnoqHFUA-2FKFd9jq4TgdfEmAU-2FSWpM9f7B0SoDorUDEKzJ-2BtbrkdGth-2FAHpNmCyUfmKKbdLuOXK7lTXEQtvGP23U-2BfeI9z2hSI4rH3f0FegjA105MonT9Vz2ocF5jn91eKSHNAlUBEMEF2MRK6qsEeyDGF9EioRQPztEHQ-2FDT8KEsd2LA-3D-3D where it
says:

*You can add multiple host parameters to the SQL connect string. Dovecot
will do round robin load balancing between them. If one of them goes
down, the others will handle the traffic.*

it would be really nice if that was expanded opon in the docs.... I am
not sure WHO to ask that that be clarified.

I currently have:

... would I use:

password=<dbpass> host=<dbserver2> dbname=<dbname2> user=<dbuser2>
password=<dbpass2>"

and the system would just see host/host, dbname/dbname user/user
password/password and automatically map the correct dbname/user/password
to the correct host or it is assumed that the 2nd host is the only thing
that changes and the dbname/user/password are the same? or do I use:

password2=<dbpass>"

to specify the host and host2 info?

"You can add multiple host parameters to the SQL connect string." is a
bit lacking in info when you think about the possibility of having a
different user/pass or dbname for the 2nd host instance.

I am going to play around with this on my production box... but having a
bit more info in the docs would be preferred.

- jack

--
jack - Southlake Texas - mylinuxguy.net <http://url7179.mylinuxguy.net/ls/click?upn=qw3mUGlvypxOIEjnzoVznaPhh1QZR9rdwcvCQ0qavLA-3DGi6o_HoH8w59qZ-2Bj-2BbJehmds8moczgghS3-2F0vIoq8mKxnoqHFUA-2FKFd9jq4TgdfEmAU-2FSDD3QbZkLXrzchTCC0eI50V35beidH4bZ4lcPaPCmxI3dzZMZzrRyGxB6-2B37N8f75zsozULs5YejC8ih6OJHvmMYfgsm0VkExuCbTjU2Rd8bTIcdGLUkUJF3nySSClF11arEIDq6Eii2tdImvBvCtgg-3D-3D>