Doveadm Move Query

Simon B simon.buongiorno at gmail.com
Thu Dec 1 09:25:52 UTC 2022

On Tue, 2 Aug 2022 at 12:58, Paul Kudla (SCOM.CA Internet Services
Inc.) <paul at scom.ca> wrote:

> ok user at domain.com needs to exist before any operations can be done on it.
>
> I discovered that dovecot does not consider a virtual mailbox active
> until it is returned in the user database
>
> see : doveadm user '*'
>
> both accounts MUST be returned in the list (user at .net & user at .com)
>
> from there it should work as expected.
>
> i went through this with my django email user interface as the user was
> not being saved in the database until the django model had completing
> saving a new entry, thus when creating the new account i had to put a
> delay check in my create email account that continued to loop until
> django had finished it's processing, very anoying (not dovecot's issue)
> but i think you are facing something similiar?
>

> it seems you might be renaming the mbox ?
>
> again both user at .net & user at .com must exist along the way before the
> account(s) can be accessed.
>
> if renaming the mbox is your intention than add the user at .com account
>
> move should now work
>
> then delete the user at .net account.

Thanks Paul.

I finally got around to looking at this again, and for my own benefit,
and perhaps anyone else in the future, the format that eventually
worked was:

doveadm -Dv move -u user at destination.com INBOX  user user @source.net
MAILBOX INBOX ALL

However...

the -v option does NOT as the man page indicates produce any kind of
progress counter.

 -v     Enables verbosity, including progress counter.

On a medium mailbox (~1000 messages) it took about 3 minutes, with no
indication anything was being done until the prompt returned.  Maybe I
need -D -v and not -Dv?

AND,

it moved all the mails from
/var/spool/mail/virtual/source.net/user/cur but none of the emails
from  /var/spool/mail/virtual/source.net/user/new

And I have not been able to figure how to move those...

Simon