OT: Two simultaneous POP3 connections from Outlook

kjohnson at eclypse.org kjohnson at eclypse.org
Wed Dec 21 02:53:50 UTC 2022

Hello,

I recognize this may be somewhat off-topic, but my search-fu has failed to provide useful results, so I ask for pointers to further information.

Today, while examining Dovecot logs, I found a case where the Outlook mail client (probably 2016 or later) on a user's computer opened two simultaneous, or at least overlapping, POP3 connections to Dovecot.  This did not go well, naturally.

Warning: Transaction log file .../mail/.imap/INBOX/dovecot.index.log was locked for 156 seconds (rotating while syncing)

If anyone else has found useful information about this peculiar behavior for an email client, I would be pleased to receive a pointer in that direction.

Thank you.

Ken