Self hosting solution for Christmas

André Rodier andre at rodier.me
Thu Dec 29 09:07:08 UTC 2022

On 29 December 2022 09:10:23 CET, Joachim Lindenberg <dovecot at lindenberg.one> wrote:
>Hello André,
>thanks for the explanations, appreciated, and for sure publishing a comparison would help users to make a decision, where to "shop", and maybe also for enthusiast the opportunity to join forces on specific topics.
>I like that you support FDE, but my personal preference is to run *x as virtual machines on Hyper-V with Bitlocker and Bitlocker Network Unlock. I haven´t looked into Clevis & Tang yet in detail, which might be an alternative.
>I decided for mailcow early 2018 where it met my requirements, but I am also open to alternatives, especially if they are on par or close w.r.t. functionality, ideally offering high availability via two replicating instances (mailcow does this commercially only and didn´t offer a GDPR compliant contract).
>Thanks,
>Joachim

Hello, Joachim.

Yes, two replicating instances would be good, many options are available. I will make a few tests next year, using some components, like drbd and gfs2, to name a few. However, I am also looking into an NFS server.

For emails encryption, I will try to use dovecot native one, but I want to decrypt the key on user login. However, GPG maybe guys as well.

One thing I forgot to mention in the features: DNSSEC is automatically configured as well, using PowerDNS.

Kind regards,
André.