Problem with chrooted user, manage-sieve plugin, lmtp and Thunderbird manage sieve extension: wrong symbolic link to active script

Lev Serebryakov lev at serebryakov.spb.ru
Fri Feb 4 15:36:33 UTC 2022

  I'm not sure, is it dovecot-managesieve plugin or Thunderbird extension.

  I have virtual users which are "chrooted" to their Maildirs, like this:

user_query = SELECT '/usr/home/hosted/v-mail/%d/%n' AS chroot, \
         '/' AS home, 'maildir:~/' AS mail, email.uid AS uid, email.gid AS gid FROM \
         <snipped>

  It works perfectly.

  I'm using sieve and manage-sieve plugins for dovecot. `.dovecot.sieve` link is relative, like this:

v-mail at onlyone:~/serebryakov.spb.ru/lev # ls -l .dovecot.sieve
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  v-mail  17 Feb  4 18:19 .dovecot.sieve -> sieve/TOTAL.sieve

  It works. But when I deactivate/activate script via Manage sieve extension in Thunderbird link becomes absolute (with respect to chroot):

v-mail at onlyone:~/serebryakov.spb.ru/lev # ls -l .dovecot.sieve
lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  v-mail  17 Feb  4 18:19 .dovecot.sieve -> /sieve/TOTAL.sieve

   and delivery agent (LMTP) start to complain:

v-mail at onlyone:~/serebryakov.spb.ru/lev # grep .dovecot.sieve /var/log/dovecot.log
Feb 04 18:18:42 lmtp(lev at serebryakov.spb.ru)<36054><iPQqEtJD/WHWjAAAlMIKZw>: Warning: sieve: file storage: Active sieve script symlink /usr/home/hosted/v-mail/serebryakov.spb.ru/lev/.dovecot.sieve is broken: Invalid/unknown path to storage (points to /sieve).

  I'm not sure, is it problem of manage-sieve plugin, lmtp sieve plugin or Thunderbird Sieve extension...

--
// Black Lion AKA Lev Serebryakov