Password Mismatch when connecting from Email Client

Dr Francis Greaves francis at choughs.org
Fri Feb 4 16:17:33 UTC 2022

Dear All
I have
Postfix version 3.3.0, Dovecot Version 2.2.33.2 and PostfixAdmin
version 3.3.10 using MySQL on a small device running Ubuntu
VERSION="18.04.6 LTS (Bionic Beaver)" for my internal LAN
Mail.

I have a user mailto:admin at fsoft.nnet with a mailbox setup in
PostfixAdmin with a password as 'Test75?'

Everything is running fine, but I cannot get my Email Client
Thunderbird to connect.

I have setup the debugging to see that the correct password
is being used, which it is, but I have this error:

dovecot: auth-worker(26468):
sql(mailto:admin at fsoft.nnet,10.6.10.10,<gB77wjLXGLsKBgoK>): Password
mismatch (given password: Test75?)

showing that dovecot disagrees!!!

Why is this? Is it something to do with the permissions in
PostfixAdmin?

I did find https://serverfault.com/questions/696715/password-mismatch-in-dovecot-with-postafixadmin where someone had the same problem. He just tried various passwords until he found one that
worked!!!! I have not found any other post about this exact problem.

Any help much appreciated.

Regards

Francis