GDPR/sender-ip

dc-ml at dvl.werbittewas.de dc-ml at dvl.werbittewas.de
Wed Jan 5 17:27:54 UTC 2022

Am 05.01.22 um 18:00 schrieb John Fawcett:

> my understanding of the GDPR legislation is that it defines what is
> considered lawful processing. One of those items that makes the
> processing lawful is consent. If I send an email to a public mailing
> list I think it's fair to say that I am providing consent. I was not

sorry, you're wrong.

have a look at the given link to the EUGH-judgement.

it's irrelevant if someone acts in private or public area.

peoples privacy rights always exists and may only violated, if there's
really no other possibility to fulfil higher rights

and:

think about whistleblowers or dissidents in autotcratic regimes: maybe
they send mails from the same place, where they do their important work
for society. Even if they change their IP between, their location may be
traced in detail.

and don't forget: no one here will force you, to change your handling
with your users privacy-data. but some of us want to have the
possibility to change it. So why you're aguing here, what's your aim?

if there are technical issues with the patch - ok
if it brings more complexity in the further development (which I don't
think due its simplicity) - ok

but I think that interpretation of the GDPR is neither on-topic here,
nor may lead to any kind of consensus, since even in Europe there're
still enough people, who think, that's not useful.

d.