GDPR/sender-ip

John Fawcett john at voipsupport.it
Wed Jan 5 17:46:32 UTC 2022

On 05/01/2022 18:27, dc-ml at dvl.werbittewas.de wrote:

> Am 05.01.22 um 18:00 schrieb John Fawcett:
>
>> my understanding of the GDPR legislation is that it defines what is
>> considered lawful processing. One of those items that makes the
>> processing lawful is consent. If I send an email to a public mailing
>> list I think it's fair to say that I am providing consent. I was not
> sorry, you're wrong.
>
> have a look at the given link to the EUGH-judgement.
>
> it's irrelevant if someone acts in private or public area.
>
> peoples privacy rights always exists and may only violated, if there's
> really no other possibility to fulfil higher rights
I did look at it and my answer was based partly on what I read there.
This is more of a technical mailing list so I'll avoid commenting here
further, other than to say that I think you're reading things into the
judgement and the GDPR legislation that go beyond what the legislation
requires.

> and:
>
> think about whistleblowers or dissidents in autotcratic regimes: maybe
> they send mails from the same place, where they do their important work
> for society. Even if they change their IP between, their location may be
> traced in detail.
I think this is getting way off topic for this list. I would sincerely
hope that people in these circumstances would trust to more robust
privacy mechanisms than the one in discussion.

> and don't forget: no one here will force you, to change your handling
> with your users privacy-data. but some of us want to have the
> possibility to change it. So why you're aguing here, what's your aim?
I have nothing against the proposed patch. I was just suggesting other
ways that the GDPR legislation requirements may be met.

> if there are technical issues with the patch - ok
> if it brings more complexity in the further development (which I don't
> think due its simplicity) - ok
>
> but I think that interpretation of the GDPR is neither on-topic here,
> nor may lead to any kind of consensus,

I can only agree!

> since even in Europe there're
> still enough people, who think, that's not useful.

If this phrase is related to my posts, you're reading things I didn't
say, mean, mean to imply or even think.

> d.

John