noob maildir question

John Stoffel john at stoffel.org
Mon Jan 24 13:42:01 UTC 2022

mikfum> thanks John for the reply

No problem! I'm not an expert by any stretch, but I've been using
dovecot for years and doing It for way too many years... LOL!

mikfum> what I would like to do is implement an autoarchive function
mikfum> at server level that, in the night while dovecot is down,
mikfum> moves messages older than n days from the user inbox to a
mikfum> subfolder of the same user (cur to cur)

Why do you bring dovecot down?  What maintenance are you running them?
I'm curious because I never reboot my dovecot instance unless there's
a problem.  And these days, if you are running a business providing
email service, it seems better to run a cluster of dovecot servers
behind dovecot director to load balance things.

I also feel that using the doveadm commands to do this work is the
better way, since it will properly handle locking and consistency of
the folder(s).

Why do you think that doing this with dovecot is down is the best way
to do this?

John