Is multi factor authentication practical/feasible?

Michael Ströder michael at stroeder.com
Sat Jul 2 09:58:48 UTC 2022

On 7/2/22 10:15, Marc wrote:
> The two factor became necessary for the big 'moron' companies who
> decided to start using email addresses as logins so it was easier to
> track people, because in that situation you only have to try commonly
> used passwords or passwords used at a different application.
Maybe some companies are using e-mail addresses for tracking. But I can
tell you that most times users want to use their e-mail address for
login because that's what they easily memorize.

> If you stay with an username that is not published publicly, the
> commonly known password is still useless, since you do not have the
> username.
Whether that protects you depends on your threat model.

In my world I regard the confidentiality of usernames to be near zero.
And I'm in the camp who recommends not to use usernames based on person
names (unguessable or even completely random).

> Unless of course they do not think ios and windows are not secure
> enough to store your username ;)

Indeed my threat model includes breaches concerning the local storage of
all sort of MUAs. Unfortunately there's currently no real solution for this.

Ciao, Michael.