Is multi factor authentication practical/feasible?

Michael Peddemors michael at linuxmagic.com
Mon Jul 4 19:29:35 UTC 2022

It IS possible to use 2FA on Dovecot, but it would be better if Dovecot
supported options by Plugins to control what supported 2FA options are
supported in the CAPABILITIES string.  (Ongoing problem getting more
power in the handles of 3rd party plugins for Dovecot, politics.. )

HOWEVER, there are many ways if you 'roll your own' dovecot, eg can
apply patches to the build process.  We do this.

Having said that, yes.. especially in North America this push by
insurance agents for 2FA, is driven by the RansomWare problems, and
gives an insurance company a way out..

The only problem is, having looked at several of these insurance
companies forms, it is almost as if a o365 sales person wrote the
requirements.  And even IF you apply a 2FA, (eg a 2nd factor) you might
find that the insurance documents will not accept anything other than
what their legal department defined as 2FA..

The biggest problem, is not the use of 2FA, it is making 2FA transparent
and simple enough for end users to adopt.  End users don't want to mess
with a second factor they have to add, or a hardware dongle, or giving
their cel# out..

And the industry has to come together, otherwise you will quickly find
out insurance companies ONLY accept 2FA from one or two closed source
companies..

Which is why once again, I wish that Dovecot would take a leadership
role in this, and allow more 3rd party plugins to be available to
address this business need.

(Oh, on the side, there ARE some ways you actually do 2FA transparently,
but of course the email client has to understand it.  But while you can
do 'tricks' even in IMAP for 2FA, we need to think that the same method
should work for ALL communication channels which utilize the same
credentials, eg IMAP/SMTP/POP, even other things like caldav/carddav etc)

	-- Michael --

--
"Catch the Magic of Linux..."