Is multi factor authentication practical/feasible?

gene heskett gheskett at shentel.net
Mon Jul 4 20:23:49 UTC 2022

On 7/4/22 15:32, Michael Peddemors wrote:
> It IS possible to use 2FA on Dovecot, but it would be better if
> Dovecot supported options by Plugins to control what supported 2FA
> options are supported in the CAPABILITIES string.  (Ongoing problem
> getting more power in the handles of 3rd party plugins for Dovecot,
> politics.. )
>
> HOWEVER, there are many ways if you 'roll your own' dovecot, eg can
> apply patches to the build process.  We do this.
>
> Having said that, yes.. especially in North America this push by
> insurance agents for 2FA, is driven by the RansomWare problems, and
> gives an insurance company a way out..
>
> The only problem is, having looked at several of these insurance
> companies forms, it is almost as if a o365 sales person wrote the
> requirements.  And even IF you apply a 2FA, (eg a 2nd factor) you
> might find that the insurance documents will not accept anything other
> than what their legal department defined as 2FA..
>
> The biggest problem, is not the use of 2FA, it is making 2FA
> transparent and simple enough for end users to adopt.  End users don't
> want to mess with a second factor they have to add, or a hardware
> dongle, or giving their cel# out..

Which, as long as I'm the one paying for the service, isn't going to
happen. When they start paying my net bill, is when they can send me
spam.  And not 1 millisecond before.
> And the industry has to come together, otherwise you will quickly find
> out insurance companies ONLY accept 2FA from one or two closed source
> companies..
>
> Which is why once again, I wish that Dovecot would take a leadership
> role in this, and allow more 3rd party plugins to be available to
> address this business need.
>
> (Oh, on the side, there ARE some ways you actually do 2FA
> transparently, but of course the email client has to understand it.
> But while you can do 'tricks' even in IMAP for 2FA, we need to think
> that the same method should work for ALL communication channels which
> utilize the same credentials, eg IMAP/SMTP/POP, even other things like
> caldav/carddav etc)
>
>     -- Michael --

This seems to be a place where the ITEF (IETF?)has seriously dropped the
ball. They do not well understand the chaos that will be created if THEY
do nor set a cast iron std that even Redmond can follow or go home. I
don't think we can scream that too loud if THEY don't get off the dime
and do something toward setting a standard. That is, according to what I
read, part of their job. So pester them until they do it. By whatever
means is at your disposal.

Cheers, Gene Heskett.
-Ed Howdershelt (Author, 1940)
  - Louis D. Brandeis