The end of Dovecot Director?

Mark Moseley moseleymark at gmail.com
Tue Nov 1 15:58:37 UTC 2022

TL;DR: 🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩🚩

Sure, this affects medium/large/Enterprise folks (that's where I was using
Director -- though currently retired, so no existing self-interest in this
email).

This will also affect *any* installation with a whopping two dovecot
servers with mdbox backends talking to a single linux NFS server as well.
That's not exactly "Enterprise". Replication is great, but it is not a
replacement for Director (nor is any sort of load balancing, regardless of
the confused comments in this thread about nginx).

I think the real issue here is that Dovecot is removing *existing,
long-standing, critical functionality* from the open source version. That
is a huge, huge red flag.

I'm also a little bewildered by the comment "Director never worked
especially well". Worked great for me, at scale, for years. Complex? Yup,
but that was the price of mdbox (worth it). And if you're setting up a
proxy cluster (instead of a full Director cluster) in front of your IMAP
servers, you've already tackled 90% of the complexity anyway (i.e. using
Director isn't the hard part).

This *feels" to me like a parent company looking to remove features from
the open source version in order to add feature differentiation to the paid
version.

I've loved the Dovecot project for over a decade and a half. And
incidentally I have a very warm spot in my heart for Timo and Aki, thanks
to Dovecot and especially this mailing list.

I've also loved the PowerDNS project for a decade and a half, so this
removal of *existing functionality* is doubly worrisome. I'd like both
projects to be monetisable and profitable enough to their parent so that
they continue on for a very, very long time.

But removing long-standing features is a bad look. Please reconsider this
decision.