The end of Dovecot Director?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Nov 2 17:16:21 UTC 2022

   It would certainly be a shame if that sort of thing started happening
with Dovecot.  Since day one, the Dovecot community has always been very
pleasant, friendly, and drama-free.  If forks start happening due to
profiteering, that will irrevocably change the Dovecot community, with
feelings of broken trust.

   That would be a shame.

   No one decries the commercial side of Dovecot wanting to make money.
Timo and others have worked very hard on this project for many years.  I
was a very early adopter of Dovecot, a refugee from (the awful) Cyrus
IMAP server, and I watched it grow up to be a highly useful and widely
respected package.  Creating a commercial version to reward the
developers and fund future development is fine; I applaud it.

   But it really smells like the current move with Director is crossing
a line.

   Those in charge of making this decision would do well to pay very
close attention here.

             -Dave

On 11/2/22 12:46, Jan Hugo Prins wrote:
> I think the only thing they will gain is a community that is angry and
> will in the end leave the product / fork the complete product.
>
> Jan Hugo
>
> On November 2, 2022 5:39:53 PM GMT+01:00, Brad Schuetz <brad at omnis.com>
> wrote:
>
>     On 11/2/22 03:54, Aki Tuomi wrote:
>
>             On 02/11/2022 11:55 EET Frank Wall <fw at moov.de> wrote:
>
>             On 2022-11-02 09:11, Aki Tuomi wrote:
>
>                 You can also see the email sent by others which shows
>                 how you can do
>                 this without replication, using proxy and passdb to
>                 direct users to
>                 right backend. Which is basically what director does.
>
>             It's not the same thing.
>
>                 It is not critical functionality. You can feasibly run a
>                 two-node
>                 dovecot system on NFS without having director.
>
>             It seems to be critical enough to offer a replacement for paying
>             customers, while at the same time leaving the community edition
>             with no valid replacement.
>

>             Ciao
>             - Frank
>
>         Can you tell me what kind of functionality you are unable to
>         achieve with the passdb solution?
>
>         Aki
>

>     Can you tell us what you are gaining (other than monitarily) by removing a completely functionally working feature that numerous people are using?
>
>     Adding new paid features is one thing (i.e. nginx), taking away a feature to replace it with a paid feature is something completely different.
>
>     --
>     Brad
>

> --

Dave McGuire, AK4HZ