doveadm backup|sync works for every folder but INBOX

Aki Tuomi aki.tuomi at open-xchange.com
Thu Nov 3 09:54:51 UTC 2022

> On 03/11/2022 11:46 EET Ralf Becker <rb at egroupware.org> wrote:
>

> Hi Aki,
>
> Am 03.11.22 um 10:29 schrieb Aki Tuomi:
> >> On 03/11/2022 11:27 EET Ralf Becker <rb at egroupware.org> wrote:
> >>

> >> Hi Aki,

> >> I created now a separate instance with a modified configuration file
> >> with no auto=subscribe (or create), no replication and an empty storage.
> >> doveadm config -n is attached.
> >>
> >> Unfortunately the result is identical to my previous tries:
> >>
> >> doveadm -o namespace/subs/location=mbox:/var/dovecot/subs -o
> >> imapc_user='someuser' -o imapc_password='secret' -D backup -n INBOX/ -R
> >> -u someuser at somedomain imapc: 2>&1 | tee /tmp/doveadm-backup.log
> >>
> >> Nov 03 09:06:35 dsync(someuser at somedomain): Warning: Mailbox changes
> >> caused a desync. You may want to run dsync again: Remote lost mailbox
> >> GUID c92f64f79f0d1ed01e6d5b314f04886c (maybe it was just deleted?)
> >>
> >> doveadm mailbox status -u someuser at somedomain all INBOX
> >> INBOX messages=0 recent=0 uidnext=1 uidvalidity=1577952633 unseen=0
> >> highestmodseq=1 vsize=0 guid=c92f64f79f0d1ed01e6d5b314f04886c
> >> firstsaved=never
> >>
> >> Any ideas what else to try or how to debug that further?
> >>
> >> I can send you the full log to your personal address, if that helps ...
> >>
> >> Ralf
> > You should rm -rf the target folder first. Can you attach `doveadm -D backup` logs? Check that it won't contain passwords.
>
> The mailbox directory did NOT exist before, therefore no need to rm -rf it.
>
> I send the logs to your private address only, I feel not comfortable to
> post them on the list.
>
> Ralf

1. You did not delete the mailbox.

2. You are using **mbox** for subscription namespace, please don't.

Also

Nov 03 09:05:33 dsync(): Debug: brain M: Local mailbox tree: INBOX guid=c8adef115c84636335000000effb6190 uid_validity=1667466332 uid_next=1 subs=no last_change=0 last_subs=0
Nov 03 09:05:33 dsync(): Debug: brain S: Local mailbox tree: INBOX guid=c92f64f79f0d1ed01e6d5b314f04886c uid_validity=1577952633 uid_next=32746 subs=no last_change=0 last_subs=0

This clearly shows that you did not, in fact, rm -rf the user's mailboxes prir running backup. Can you please try again, and clean up the user from t target mailsystem before running backup again?

I would also strongly recommend not using ACL plugin while doing backup, unless you are backing up ACLs from source system.

Aki