Help with configuration?

Ellie McNeill ellie at esm.me.uk
Wed Nov 9 06:20:14 UTC 2022

Hi, I'm running my own mail server on Debian 11 with exim and Dovecot
2.3.13. I have it working, but I'm seeking advice on further customising
my setup. I'm using the Maildir++ format with some personal folders. I
use IMAP to retrieve mail and Dovecot's submission server to send mail.

1. I want to have incoming emails automatically placed in certain
folders instead of 'Inbox' based on certain criteria. For example, I
want all emails from PayPal to go into the 'PayPal' folder and all
emails from the Debian mailing list to go into the 'Debian' folder. Can
dovecot do this for me and what is the best approach?

2. When I delete an email using my user client, it is only 'marked' as
deleted (Thunderbird places a scored line through it, and a 'T' is added
to the filename in the Maildir). How can I get dovecot to automatically
move mail marked 'deleted' to the Trash folder each time?

I also want further delete operations on any mail in the 'Trash' folder
to be permanently deleted.

3. I want to hide my client IP address from the headers when submitting
mail to Dovecot's submissiond, but I can't seem to find any way to
disable this. I would prefer that recipients only see the server IP
address, but not the IP address of the mail client which submitted it.

Regards,
Ellie

PS - When signing up for the mailing list, there was no selection
ability on the question "Would you like to get replies to your mails
only to the list, ie. add a Reply-To header?"