R: Dovecot 2.3 shared namespace issues

Stefano Cecconello stefano.cecconello at staff.aruba.it
Tue Nov 15 16:29:26 UTC 2022

Hello,

My bad, the OS was ubuntu 20.04 and not 22.04 .

After further tinkering\testing, it seems that removing the "
acl_ignore_namespace = shared/* " setting did the trick, now we're getting
the correct ACL on client side .
Without it we can see the folder with the right permissions :

Logging as user01 :
shared\Sharer01\INBOX : '[NONEXISTENT] Mailbox doesn't exist:
shared/test.imapsharer01 at td01.testdomain.it/INBOX''
shared\Sharer01\subfolder01 ( RW ) :
'shared/test.imapsharer01 at td01.testdomain.it/subfolder01
test.imapuser01 at td01.testdomain.it akxeilprwtscd ']
shared\Sharer01\subfolder02ro ( RO ) : '[NOPERM] You lack administrator
privileges on this mailbox'

Logging on Thunderbird and other IMAP clients ( sylpheed\claws ) as user01 :
-	It list correctly the shared folders as subscribed folders ;
-	can't view the mail contents of the sharer INBOX, as desired ;
-	show the total elements of the sharer INBOX, even if the user01
didnt have access ;

If the config is correct, this is somehow what we're trying to accomplish, i
have some concerns regarding how it is possible to show the total messages
of the remote INBOX without having any privileges .
Maybe is something related to the index of that INBOX folder that is
somewhat read by the accessing user even if IMAP-wise didnt have any ACL \
rights .

I still dont understand why enabling the acl_ignore_namespace setting,
results in a :
-	remote INBOX full control, even if it was not defined in any acl ;
-	subfolders ACL applied correctly

Hope that someone can shed a light on it .

Thanks
Stefano