Dovecot 2.2 to 2.3 migration

Shawn Heisey elyograg at elyograg.org
Thu Nov 17 15:26:29 UTC 2022

On 11/15/22 03:29, Markus Wienhöfer wrote:
> we are currently using Dovecot 2.2 (from the Ubuntu 18.04 repos) and
> would like to migrate to 2.3
>
> I have read the migration documentation regarding the configuration
> changes. Apart from that, is it feasible/possible to change from
> Ubuntu to official Dovecot repositories and upgrade the dovecot
> package this way?

This is what I did.  After upgrading from Ubuntu 18 to Ubuntu 20, I
added the dovecot APT repo and installed from there.  It all went
smoothly, and the migration notes were sufficient.

At some point I will upgrade that system to Ubuntu 22, but I will be
waiting until all the PHP webapps I am using are upgraded to support PHP
8.1.  If you use a lot of PHP apps, the upgrade from PHP 7.4 in Ubuntu
20 to PHP 8.1 in Ubuntu 22 is probably going to break at least one of
them.  App developers are not adjusting to PHP 8.x very quickly.

For the gurus:  Is there an expected ballpark release date for 2.4
and/or 3.0?

Thanks,
Shawn