Overquota flag and auth caching

Christian Rößner lists at mlserv.org
Tue Sep 13 09:17:35 UTC 2022

Hello,

I like the over quota flag mechanism in Dovecot. I found out that I get in trouble if a user gets over quota and I have turned on auth caching, because the cache does not automatically invalidate a user while toggling the flag. The cache still serves the old state.

The result is that mails are still accepted, even a user went over quota resulting in bounces.

Workaround is to flush a user from inside the toggle script, which solves the bounce problem, but it prevents the user from getting under quota before the user is flushed from the cache again.

What is the correct way to use the over quota flag and which solutions can be taken to invalidate the user? Is it possible to do this in a Lua user  backend? Any other method?

Thanks in advance

Christian Rößner
--
Rößner-Network-Solutions