Sieve Symlink Creation

hi at zakaria.website hi at zakaria.website
Tue Sep 13 11:15:32 UTC 2022

On 2022-09-12 17:36, dovecot at ptld.com wrote:
>> On 09-12-2022 12:16 pm, hi at zakaria.website wrote:
>>
>> It seems that dovecot doesn't understand the relative format and
>> requires absolute format, per the documentation example. Perhaps find
>> the code which parses the absolute path, and compile your own dovecot
>> build, which can understand the path format you want?
>

> I did not find that. I want to learn more, can you link me the dovecot
> documentation you found explaining how absolute paths are required for
> sieve?
>

>> On 2022-08-25 13:32, dovecot at ptld.com wrote:
>>> The first time when the sieve files and folders get created, the
>>> active symlink is created as a full absolute path
>>>
>>>     .active_sieve -> /mnt/email/domain/user/_sieve/filters.sieve
>>>
>>> After that, if you disable and enable the rule set the symlink gets
>>> recreated as relative
>>>
>>>     .active_sieve -> filters.sieve
>>>
>>> How can i have the symlink always created as a relative path even on
>>> first time creation?
>>> Having a full absolute path over a mounted NSF is fragile.
>>>
>>> Dovecot 2.3.16
>>> Pigeonhole 2.3.16
>>>
>>> mail_home = /mnt/email/%d/%n/_dovecot
>>> mail_location =
>>> maildir:/mnt/email/%d/%n/_folders:INDEX=/mnt/email/%d/%n/_dovecot:CONTROL=/mnt/email/%d/%n/_dovecot
>>> plugin {
>>>   sieve = file:~/../_sieve;active=~/../_sieve/.active_sieve
>>>   sieve_max_script_size = 1M
>>>   sieve_max_actions = 32
>>>   sieve_max_redirects = 4
>>>   sieve_quota_max_scripts = 20
>>>   sieve_quota_max_storage = 5M
>>>   sieve_vacation_min_period = 1d
>>>   sieve_vacation_use_original_recipient = no
>>>   sieve_vacation_dont_check_recipient = no
>>>   sieve_vacation_send_from_recipient = no
>>>   sieve_redirect_envelope_from = sender
>>>   sieve_user_email = %u
>>> }

Here its
https://doc.dovecot.org/configuration_manual/sieve/configuration/#basic-configuration

Also, check here active_path and active_path_new:-
https://github.com/dovecot/pigeonhole/blob/1cb177cc2329cd565023c8f7a19872403b225793/src/lib-sieve/storage/file/sieve-file-storage-active.c

I remember I had issues with active symlink creation and I had to
pre-create it for accounts manually, and from your input it seems to be
my issue was happening as a result of file/directory ownership or
permissions and perhaps you might need to explore if this is the case
with your symlink creation issue.

Zakaria.