[dovecot] Re: questions

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Dec 6 13:24:37 EET 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 13:09, Farkas Levente wrote:
> > I don't have much LDAP plans right now .. PAM would likely already have
> > existing LDAP plugins, but you'd also have to keep the users in
> > /etc/passwd then (without passwords).
> why??? that's what I realy would like to avoid!!! is there any reason?

PAM can only be used for checking if user/password matches, so it's
missing the passwd information that Dovecot needs, at least home dir and
uid. Although I had been thinking of making those some global settings
in config file, so you could say homedir=/var/user/$USER$ uid=imapusers.

> > I've been thinking about SQL database support from the beginning.
> > However it'd probably be slower and require a bit more memory than with
> > the current indexes.
>
> ohh? I assume a database should have to be faster, but this is just an
> assumption...

That's mostly because of a few tricks that Dovecot does with it's index
files that aren't really possible with SQL databases. Multiuser
mailboxes which are modified a lot are one thing where they could be
faster than Dovecot's index files because of better locking.

Besides, Dovecot's indexes could be called as a simple database..