[dovecot] Re: dovecot replacing uw-imap

David Champion dgc at uchicago.edu
Fri Dec 20 03:28:36 EET 2002

* On 2002.12.19, in <1040311765.17838.12.camel at opus>,
*	"seth vidal" <skvidal at phy.duke.edu> wrote:

> 2. Would it be possible to have dovecot target a different place than
> ~user/mail by default, specfically some place like
> /var/path/to/maildirs/userdir/
> In order to use dovecot I need a migration path and that path looks like
> it will need mbox outside of the users homedirs and pottentially outside
> of solely user-owned directories.

We had a similar need with uw-imap -- we had 25,000 users in /var/mail,
and wanted to split them out across multiple subdirectories. The route
we chose for this is actually pretty flexible, and configurable from
outside of the imap server process. It should be usable in dovecot, too,
if anyone wants to investigate. It's just a link library, and using it
inside any arbitrary application can be as simple as 1 or 2 lines of C.

There's a readme at
    http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/sw/mailpath/README
and the package itself is at
    http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/sw/mailpath/mailpath-1.0.tar.gz
    http://home.uchicago.edu/~dgc/sw/mailpath/mailpath-1.0.tar.gz.sig

This isn't a product in any formal sense, and it's not supported by
anyone in particular; it's just what I wrote for internal use at our
site. But if it seems useful, I'd be glad to answer questions once you
read the README. :)

--
 -D.	dgc at uchicago.edu	NSIT	University of Chicago
 We're the colon in ://