[dovecot] Re: dovecot replacing uw-imap

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Dec 20 04:10:17 EET 2002

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 07:28:36PM -0600, David Champion wrote:
> We had a similar need with uw-imap -- we had 25,000 users in /var/mail,
> and wanted to split them out across multiple subdirectories. The route
> we chose for this is actually pretty flexible, and configurable from
> outside of the imap server process. It should be usable in dovecot, too,
> if anyone wants to investigate. It's just a link library, and using it
> inside any arbitrary application can be as simple as 1 or 2 lines of C.

'"Overkill" is my middle name.'

Yeah. :) CVS Dovecot has already default_mail_path which supports $U as
username. Using your idea of supporting $1U $2U etc. to limit it to first 1
or 2 chars could be good enough idea to implement by default. Other than
that, I don't see much use for the rest of the variables. Hmm. Except maybe
separating "user at domain" username so that you could use path like
/var/mail/domain/user/.