[dovecot] Re: dovecot replacing uw-imap

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Dec 20 04:19:30 EET 2002

On Thu, Dec 19, 2002 at 10:29:24AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:
>  I'm trying to sort out how to make dovecot replace uw-imap cleanly. But
> I have the following problems/questions:
>
> 1. Why is mbox support limited to user-owned directories?

Dovecot currently only supports keeping all IMAP folders in under one
drectory. You'd want keep INBOX elsewhere than rest of the IMAP folders?
Symlinks would allow that currently. Maybe I should allow inbox elsewhere
too .. only problem is that I'm not sure how that should be configured.
Maybe the MAIL environment would have multiple parts with mbox, like:

mbox:/home/$U/mail:INBOX=/var/mail/$U:Trash=/tmp/$U

First being the default IMAP folder path, rest being named mailboxes or
folders elsewhere.

> 2. Would it be possible to have dovecot target a different place than
> ~user/mail by default, specfically some place like
> /var/path/to/maildirs/userdir/

default_mail_env = /var/path/to/maildirs/$U/

Works in CVS.

> In order to use dovecot I need a migration path and that path looks like
> it will need mbox outside of the users homedirs and pottentially outside
> of solely user-owned directories.

Hm. Or did I understand it right above, what do you mean with "outside
user-owned directories"? Single mailboxes in non-owned dir or folders just
outsde home dir? Latter shouldn't matter where they are, as long as Dovecot
has write access to them.