[dovecot] Re: Architectural questions

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Oct 22 17:00:13 EEST 2002

On Tue, Oct 22, 2002 at 03:22:28PM +0200, Thomas Wouters wrote:
> > Um. Of course FreeBSD didn't have glibc, but iconv() is anyway pretty
> > standard, man page says "Conforming to UNIX98". It comes as a separate
> > library as well.
>
> Yeah, I noticed the same thing :) But it still has to be a concious
> decision, as not all platforms come with libiconv and I wasn't sure what
> your target audience is, and might become.

Well, target audience should be as large as possible :) But I think it'd be
good enough to make iconv() required for charset-support, without iconv() it
would support only charsets which don't need any conversion (ascii and
"search charset foo" with "=?foo?..?=")

> > BTW. does SquirrelMail also require THREAD extension? It's not much more
> > different from SORT luckily.
>
> It looks like it's optional. As a matter of fact, so is SORT :) But both
> would be very nice to have, not just for SquirrelMail.

Yeah. I'll add support for both later, currently there's a bit more
important things to do which you'll want fixed as well :)