[dovecot] Re: NFS mounted IMAP dirs

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Thu Apr 3 22:50:30 EEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-03-31 at 11:52, Maikel Verheijen wrote:
> Well: I am working with Maildir mailstores, so I guess I need to
> have a uidlist kinda file then? Sorry it wasn't clear in my post
> that I am using Maildir style mailboxes... But I figured maildir was
> better than Mbox over nfs...

Maildir is much better over NFS and you would need the uidlist file
since you can't use indexes.

> My current setup is with postgresql and Maildir. So in a way, a lot of
> info COULD come from my database, if it isn't safe enough via nfs.

Well, I was thinking of supporting PostgreSQL/Oracle mailstores too.
Mail bodies could optionally be stored outside the database as files.

> Can you make all file locking configurable? Or will you do it on a
> "per-type" basis? (eg: mailbox locking, index locking, flag-file
> locking, etc).

I'll add option to specify if we want NFS-safe locking for
.subscriptions and .customflags files. But it isn't really high priority
now.