[dovecot] Re: Error: child 12625 (imap) killed with signal 12

Johan Willard johan at willard.se
Tue Apr 8 10:00:39 EEST 2003

On Mon, 7 Apr 2003, Timo Sirainen wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-04-07 at 13:04, Johan Willard wrote:
> > I have tried to install dovecot as my imap service on my FreeBSD server.
> > At first all looked fine and worked flawless. But after a while i started
> > to get errors. The imap process dies with signal 12 when the client tries
> > to check the contens of the folder.
> >
> > dovecot: Apr 07 09:55:17 Error: child 12625 (imap) killed with signal 12
> >
> > Any ideas what may cause this problem?
>
> That's "non-existent system call invoked" signal. Strange, I've never
> seen that before. What's the point of it anyway, why not just return
> ENOSYS?
>
> What version of FreeBSD are you using? I'm guessing it's the sendfile()
> call, try to comment out #define HAVE_FREEBSD_SENDFILE line from
> config.h.

I'm using FreeBSD 4.6-STABLE. If there's any time left over today i'll try
to recompile without that option.

> And you are using Dovecot 0.99.8.1, right? There were several FreeBSD
> problems before.

yes.

I was using the regular unix mailbox system when this error occured. T
thougth this would be best for compability reasons. I tried to configure
my system to use maildir instead. Now it looks like the problem have
disappered.

I allso tested another mail client after i had sent the previous mail.
When I encountered this problem I whas using outlook express 6. I tried
with an old version of Netscape Messenger and it actually worked better.
In the client everything looked fin. I was able to read my mail in all
boxes. But the imap child still died.

It looks like the maildir system suits imap much better than mailbox, so i
think i stick to it. The only problem now is that my favourite client,
pine, dosn't support maildir :/ I've located a patch that I will try, and
in worse case scenario, i'll have to connect to localhost via imap :(

MvH Johan Willard