[dovecot] Re: current cvs

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Apr 15 20:42:17 EEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 20:21, Farkas Levente wrote:
> hi,
> so after upgrade to the current cvs all of our problem disappear:-)
> but we don't have time to test the ssl part...
> although after I compile and install the new dovecot I stop it I do a
> --------------------
> find /home/*/Maildir -name '.imap*' -exec rm {} \;

This is fine, but as you noticed regenerating indexes isn't very fast :)
Also currently Dovecot doesn't behave too nicely if the index gets
deleted while it was open.

> find /home/*/Maildir -name 'dovecot-uidlist' -exec rm {} \;

There shouldn't be any need to do this. Point of it was that the UIDs
will be remembered if indexes are deleted so client doesn't have to
invalidate local cache.

> find /home/*/Maildir -name 'msgid.cache' -exec rm {} \;

Not created by Dovecot.

> find /home/*/Maildir -name '.customflags' -exec rm {}\;

Should never be deleted with maildir. This contains user-defined flag
names so it could cause some data loss.

> I don't know the exact reason bu I assume dovecot is regenerate
> everybody's index a other cache at the same time. is there any way to
> reduce the possible number of IO load? this would be useful if never
> happend again!:-)

Currently it re-reads all the mails in the directory and indexes them.
I'll make this configurable some day.