[dovecot] Re: current cvs

Farkas Levente lfarkas at bnap.hu
Wed Apr 16 11:34:49 EEST 2003

Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-04-15 at 20:21, Farkas Levente wrote:
>
>>hi,
>>so after upgrade to the current cvs all of our problem disappear:-)
>>but we don't have time to test the ssl part...
>>although after I compile and install the new dovecot I stop it I do a
>>--------------------
>>find /home/*/Maildir -name '.imap*' -exec rm {} \;
>

> This is fine, but as you noticed regenerating indexes isn't very fast :)
> Also currently Dovecot doesn't behave too nicely if the index gets
> deleted while it was open.
>

>>find /home/*/Maildir -name 'dovecot-uidlist' -exec rm {} \;
>

> There shouldn't be any need to do this. Point of it was that the UIDs
> will be remembered if indexes are deleted so client doesn't have to
> invalidate local cache.
>

>>find /home/*/Maildir -name 'msgid.cache' -exec rm {} \;
>

> Not created by Dovecot.
>

>>find /home/*/Maildir -name '.customflags' -exec rm {}\;
>

> Should never be deleted with maildir. This contains user-defined flag
> names so it could cause some data loss.
>

>>I don't know the exact reason bu I assume dovecot is regenerate
>>everybody's index a other cache at the same time. is there any way to
>>reduce the possible number of IO load? this would be useful if never
>>happend again!:-)
>

> Currently it re-reads all the mails in the directory and indexes them.
> I'll make this configurable some day.

the whole mails or just the headers?
as you know we've a lots of big mails so this makes a real different!

ok so what is the best way to be sure that no cached information can
confuse the new version? just:
- stop dovecot
- kill all imap process
- find /home/*/Maildir -name '.imap*' -exec rm {} \;
- start dovecot
?