[dovecot] Re: shared folders?

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Fri Apr 25 16:39:51 EEST 2003

On Fri, 2003-04-25 at 14:37, Moe Wibble wrote:
> > > If so, can't you just symlink any maildir dir to .SharedFolder in a users dir?
> >
> > Well, you could.. If you did it manually, set up permissions correctly
> > and preferrably didn't use shared index files (not so secure). That
> > would also mean that message flags were shared between users.
>
> Oh, really now?
> Last time I tried (some versions ago) this didn't work out.
>
> I can't exactly remember what the problem was, though.
> Maybe I'll give it one more shot today.

Well, I can't now think of why it wouldn't work :) At least as
read-write, read-only wouldn't work now.

> What negative side effects could sharing the index have?

If user can directly modify it, he could at least make Dovecot display
wrong data about the mails, hide mails or possibly cause a buffer
overflow.

> Is there a way to safely disable the index only for the shared folders?

Easiest would be to specify different index location so it won't follow
symlink to the shared directory, eg.:

default_mail_env = maildir:~/Maildir:INDEX=~/Maildir/indexes/