[Dovecot] why wont /usr/pkg/libexec/dovecot/imap see my Maildir

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Mon Aug 4 06:45:56 EEST 2003

On Mon, 2003-08-04 at 06:25, Charlie Allom wrote:
> When I invoke /usr/pkg/libexec/dovecot/imap from the command loine on
> the mail host, it logs me in, but won't see my emails:
..
> I know I have many emails in there, and I can see them when I login
> via telnet localhost 443.

I'd guess it's because you have MAIL environment pointing to some mbox
file. Try "unset MAIL", or "export MAIL=~/Maildir" before running imap.
Note that imap binary doesn't read your configuration file at all, so if
you've changed any defaults you'll have to give them in environment.

Hmm. Maybe it would be useful to add an option to dovecot binary to read
configuration (which it does always anyway) and then exec() a given
binary with the configuration moved into environment. Something like:

dovecot --exec /usr/pkg/libexec/imap/imap

Or something even simpler, since it can read the binary path from
configuration anyway:

dovecot --exec-mail imap

Another optional feature that I was thinking is to allow users to
override default settings using ~/.dovecotrc file. It would be mostly
useful for namespace configuration and maybe setting some
client-specific workarounds or optimizations.