[Dovecot] Three oddities

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Tue Aug 19 03:18:11 EEST 2003

FBSD 4.8, Dovecot-0.99.10
1)
I have mail accounts for people who use Macs and Windows, so
their mail is stored on a Unix box where they don't have accounts.
When their mail comes in, it is stored in /var/mail/<accountname>.
When I was setting this up, I used my own Unix account for testing,
and that works fine. But for the other mail accounts, which don't
correspond to Unix accounts, I want to give ownership of the
/var/mail/* files to another account that doesn't have my privileges.
However, no one can access their mail unless I own their files. As long
as I own all the /var/mail/* files, everything works fine. But if I
shift ownership to another account, users can log on to Dovecot but
attempts to access an IMAP folder return an error.

>From maillog:
Aug 18 16:39:46 kongemord imap(philrodrigues): mkdir_parents(/var/mail/philrodri
gues/.imap/INBOX) failed: Permission denied

All files and directories in /var/mail/* are in the mail group. I tried
adding dovecot to that group, but that didn't help.

Since everyone can log on to Dovecot, but can't access their mail unless
I own their files, I'm assuming that there's some simple ownership
setting that I'm overlooking. But I haven't a clue what it is. Can someone
tell me what I need to change?

2)
The Macs have Eudora 4.2 installed, and the Win boxes have Eudora 5.1.
The Macs can delete mail, put it in the trash, and empty the trash.
The Win clients can mark mail deleted, but they can't remove it. The
mail stays in the IMAP folder until the same user accesses their mail
from a Mac and deletes it. If a user drags a message to another folder,
a copy is created in the new folder but the old copy remains in the
original folder. I'm not having this problem with Mutt, so it the
problem seems to be specific to the Windows verson of Eudora. Is there
a fix?

3)
We're pulling our e-mail off our ISP's POP server and loading it into
Dovecot to allow people to work with their mail from different
machines. I'm using getmail to make the transfer. Is anyone else
doing POP to IMAP, and how are they doing it? Any suggestions?

TIA,
Bob Hall