[Dovecot] Three oddities

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 19 18:46:08 EEST 2003

On Tuesday, Aug 19, 2003, at 16:39 Europe/Helsinki, Eric S. Johansson
wrote:

>> Well, UW-IMAP supports that. I've actually thought about supporting as
>> well :) It would work better to poll the pop3 box only when IMAP's
>> INBOX
>> is being accessed by IMAP client. Luckily this can be implemented as a
>> plugin.
>
> it's one of those "just because you can do it, doesn't mean you
> should" situations.  One of the big problems is that you bypass a lot
> of normal mail system functionality like antivirus or antispam
> filters.  In my antispam system (camram), I'm currently using procmail
> as a way of intercepting the mail stream and working on the messages.
> Depositing messages via an imap backdoor would totally bypass
> filtering.

Nothing would prevent the same plugin from putting the messages through
spam and virus checkers.

> Additionally, if you use a collect pop3 box and multidrop
> distribution, you reduce your security exposure because only one
> password known (i.e. that for the pop box) versus 1 for every user.

I meant that you'd still use multiple normal pop3 boxes. You could have
per-user configuration for the pop3 box locations and passwords. Either
using some ~/.dovecotrc file or ANNOTATEMORE extension once we support
that.