[Dovecot] Three oddities

Bob Hall rjhjr at cox.net
Wed Aug 20 00:11:23 EEST 2003

On Tue, Aug 19, 2003 at 04:23:00PM +0300, Timo Sirainen wrote:
> On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 03:18, Bob Hall wrote:
> > FBSD 4.8, Dovecot-0.99.10
> > 1)
> > >From maillog:
> > Aug 18 16:39:46 kongemord imap(philrodrigues): mkdir_parents(/var/mail/philrodri
> > gues/.imap/INBOX) failed: Permission denied
> >
> > All files and directories in /var/mail/* are in the mail group. I tried
> > adding dovecot to that group, but that didn't help.
> >
> > Since everyone can log on to Dovecot, but can't access their mail unless
> > I own their files, I'm assuming that there's some simple ownership
> > setting that I'm overlooking. But I haven't a clue what it is. Can someone
> > tell me what I need to change?
>
> What userdb are you using? Dovecot gets the uid/gid for users from

The userdb is ldap. What are the uid and gid supposed to do? I have
the default uid in dovecot-ldap.conf and the individual uidNumber and
values in the LDAP registry set to the mail account (the one I want to own
the mail files). The default gid and the individual gidNumbers are set
to the mail group, which is the group assigned to all files in /var/mail.
If the mail account owns the files, users can't access them. If I own
the files, everthing works fine, but my uid and gid numbers are not listed
anywhere that dovecot has access to. I know that imap-master checks uids
and gids for validity, but aside from that I don't know what they're used
for.

I thought that maybe the fact that I'm a wheel and the mail user is not
had something to do with it, but adding the mail account to the wheel group
had no effect. I tried adding dovecot and the mail user to the mail group,
again with no effect. I still have to be the owner of the mail files.

> there. Whatever you do, don't use the "dovecot" user's uid there :)
> Rather create a new one. Hm. Maybe I should rename it to dovecot-login
> to make it more clear what it's supposed to used for..

I don't think that will make it clearer. Both dovecot.conf and
"ps waux | grep dovecot" make it clear what the dovecot processes
are used for. If you name it dovecot-login, I think it would be just as
easy for someone to get confused and try to use the dovecot uid for
themselves, in the belief that they need it to log in.

I think you're at a point where you need to think about how you are
going to explain Dovecot to users. If relatively ignorant users like
me can install it easily and securely, then Dovecot will have a
reputation for being easy to use and secure. If we don't know how to
install Dovecot easily and securely, then it will get a reputation for
being complicated and insecure, regardless of the reality. An
application's reputation, earned or unearned, tends to be established
by the lowest tier of users. If I feel I understand how to install and
set up Dovecot, then I will feel that my installation is secure. If I
have doubts about what I've done, then I'm going to have doubts about
my security. And I don't think you want to spend all your spare time
explaining Dovecot to us foolish beginners.

> > 2)
> > The Macs have Eudora 4.2 installed, and the Win boxes have Eudora 5.1.
> > The Macs can delete mail, put it in the trash, and empty the trash.
> > The Win clients can mark mail deleted, but they can't remove it. The
> > mail stays in the IMAP folder until the same user accesses their mail
> > from a Mac and deletes it. If a user drags a message to another folder,
> > a copy is created in the new folder but the old copy remains in the
> > original folder. I'm not having this problem with Mutt, so it the
> > problem seems to be specific to the Windows verson of Eudora. Is there
> > a fix?
>
> Are there error messages in log file? /var/log/maillog probably. I can't
> think of any reason why it does that..

No. Nothing in maillog, and nothing in dovecot.rawlog. That's something
else I'm confused about: When exactly does Dovecot write to the raw logs?
I've got a boatload of entries from 20030814, and nothing before or since.

Also, I get the following in the output from "ps waux | grep dovecot":

dovecot       1004  0.0  0.9  2208  536  ??  S     7:58AM   0:01.48 imap-login:
imap-login [IP address] (imap-login)

The machine at [IP address] is physically shut down. Should there still
be an imap-login process for it?