[Dovecot] Three oddities

Timo Sirainen tss at iki.fi
Tue Aug 19 16:23:00 EEST 2003

On Tue, 2003-08-19 at 03:18, Bob Hall wrote:
> FBSD 4.8, Dovecot-0.99.10
> 1)
> >From maillog:
> Aug 18 16:39:46 kongemord imap(philrodrigues): mkdir_parents(/var/mail/philrodri
> gues/.imap/INBOX) failed: Permission denied
>
> All files and directories in /var/mail/* are in the mail group. I tried
> adding dovecot to that group, but that didn't help.
>
> Since everyone can log on to Dovecot, but can't access their mail unless
> I own their files, I'm assuming that there's some simple ownership
> setting that I'm overlooking. But I haven't a clue what it is. Can someone
> tell me what I need to change?

What userdb are you using? Dovecot gets the uid/gid for users from
there. Whatever you do, don't use the "dovecot" user's uid there :)
Rather create a new one. Hm. Maybe I should rename it to dovecot-login
to make it more clear what it's supposed to used for..

> 2)
> The Macs have Eudora 4.2 installed, and the Win boxes have Eudora 5.1.
> The Macs can delete mail, put it in the trash, and empty the trash.
> The Win clients can mark mail deleted, but they can't remove it. The
> mail stays in the IMAP folder until the same user accesses their mail
> from a Mac and deletes it. If a user drags a message to another folder,
> a copy is created in the new folder but the old copy remains in the
> original folder. I'm not having this problem with Mutt, so it the
> problem seems to be specific to the Windows verson of Eudora. Is there
> a fix?

Are there error messages in log file? /var/log/maillog probably. I can't
think of any reason why it does that..